Before taking the images for assignment 1, I decided to research the areas and buildings in Coventry that are listed or of ‘special interest’ to the council. This will then give me more information about the subjects that I am photographing, and how likely those areas are to be redeveloped in the future.
I downloaded a PDF from the Coventry Ciyt Council website, which gave me all the information I needed. I have picked out a few areas that I think will make good photographs,as well as having some historical interest.
After visiting these areas I found that only a few of them had vantage points nearby that were high up enough to create good tilt-shift images. The places that I have decided to photograph are:
- Belgrade Theatre – This has been regenerated while I have lived in Coventry, and is a listed building as well as the square it’s situated in.
- Town Wall Tavern – This is also a listed building and is near the oldest street in Coventry
- A building site near the new firestation – This is currently undergoing regeneration, and has been for quite some time.
- An empty wasteland near the Premier Inn – This has been abandoned for a long time since the inn and the Belgrade CarPark were built, and has possible plans for regeneration
- Godive Square/The Godiva Statue – The statue itself is a listed monument, and the square it’s located in has been regenerated. There are also a lot of listed buildings nearby, such as the Natwest and Lloyd’s banks which are very old buildings of special interest. This area is the site of a majority of the city regeneration program by the council, and has been rebuilt 3 or 4 times since the blitz in the 1930s/40s.
- The shopping area near the Lower Precinct – This area has also been heavily manipulated since the 1950’s, and a lot of the buildings in that area are of special interest to the council.
- Various areas on the Ring Road – The ring road has been in Coventry since the early 50s, and the council has plans to either remove it, or regenerate it so that it’s more fitting with the modern areas of the city. It has seen a lot of wear and tear over the years, and I believe it is a major part of the city’s landscaping.
All of these areas are visable fom high up vantage points such as multi-story car parks and bridges, and so will be easy to convert into convincing tilt-shift images.